Georgios Papadopoulos: €10.00
Athanasios Christias: €500.00
depositors of 350 € ΠΟΛΙΤΙΣΤΙΚΟΣ ΣΥΛΛΟΓΟΣ ΧΡΥΣΟΧΩΡΙΤΩΝ ΟΛΥΜΠΙΑΣ "Ο ΑΓΙΟΣ ΓΕΩΡΓΙΟΣ", ΣΥΛΛΟΓΟΣ ΜΑΚΙΣΤΑΙΩΝ ΟΛΥΜΠΙΑΣ "Η ΜΑΚΙΣΤΟΣ": €700.00
Photios Vlachos: €250.00
depositors of 200 € Aristomenis Gregoropoulos, Galenos Bries, Δ.Σ. ΟΜΟΣΠΟΝΔΙΑΣ ΣΥΛΛΟΓΩΝ ΟΛΥΜΠΙΑΣ, Δ.Σ. ΣΥΛΛΟΓΟΥ ΟΛΥΜΠΙΩΝ, : €800.00
The Platiana Theatre is built on the eastern end of Mount Lapitha, south of the homonymous community of the Municipality of Kresten-Andritsena, in the Prefecture of Ilia. The theatre dates back to two phases. The hollow is dated back to the 4th century B.C., while the scene is dated back to the 245 B.C.
As it stands today, the theatre represents the tripartite characteristic structure of the Hellenistic theatres: the hollow, the orchestra and the scenery.
Nowadays, only parts of the scene and the hollow have been preserved while, in good condition still remains the ancient retaining wall of the theatre, as well as a throne from the presidencies. The preserved hollow is 34.5m in diameter. The monument today resembles a large ruin. It is the second preserved monument of this category in the prefecture of Ilia, after the theatre of ancient Ilida.
The city was probably abandoned by the 2nd century A.D., as it has not been mentioned by the traveler Pausanias. For its identification, the cities of ancient Triphylia Typanai and Hypanas have been proposed, which are mentioned by Polybius in connection with the invasion of the Macedonian king Philip II in the region during the Allied War (220-217 AD) as well as, other ancient sources and epigraphic testimonies. Identifying the location with an ancient city is not yet completely safe, but future research and findings can help steer in that direction. From the discovery of artifacts, while performing deforestation works at the top and on the slopes of the hill, it is assumed that the site had prehistoric stages of habitation.
Archaeologist – Ephorate of Antiquities of Ilia
Ancient Theater of Platiana
The monument has the characteristic three-part structure of Hellenistic theaters: cavea, orchestra, stage building that abuts the inner side of the fortification wall.
There is complete photographic documentation and floor plan imprints in the archives of the Ephorate of Antiquities of Ilia.
It is built on the eastern end of Mount Lapitha, to the south of Lapitha community, Municipality of Krestena-Andritsena, prefecture of Elia.
4th century BC
Only part of the stage and the cavea survives today, while the theater’s ancient retaining wall is preserved in a good condition. Also, a throne from the Proedria section (VIP) is preserved in its original position. The preserved cavea has a diameter of 34.5m. The monument today is in ruins.
In the framework of Culture Ministry’s project “Greece 2004 – Enhancement of the Archaeological Sites of the Greater Olympia Region”, the Ephorate of Antiquities of Ilia from 2002 to 2005, carried out excavation research of a limited extent. In the context of a joint research program between the Ephorate of Antiquities of Ilia for the cities of ancient Trifilia, and the Deutsches Archäologisches Institut completed the drawing of the theater’s floorplan.
Visitable archaeological site
The monument belongs to the jurisdiction of the Ministry of Culture/7th Ephorate of Prehistoric and Classical Antiquities/ Ephorate of Antiquities of Ilia
The monument belongs to the jurisdiction of the Ministry of Culture/Ephorate of Antiquities of Ilia
|depositors of 350 € ΠΟΛΙΤΙΣΤΙΚΟΣ ΣΥΛΛΟΓΟΣ ΧΡΥΣΟΧΩΡΙΤΩΝ ΟΛΥΜΠΙΑΣ "Ο ΑΓΙΟΣ ΓΕΩΡΓΙΟΣ", ΣΥΛΛΟΓΟΣ ΜΑΚΙΣΤΑΙΩΝ ΟΛΥΜΠΙΑΣ "Η ΜΑΚΙΣΤΟΣ"||700.00|
|depositors of 200 € Aristomenis Gregoropoulos, Galenos Bries, Δ.Σ. ΟΜΟΣΠΟΝΔΙΑΣ ΣΥΛΛΟΓΩΝ ΟΛΥΜΠΙΑΣ, Δ.Σ. ΣΥΛΛΟΓΟΥ ΟΛΥΜΠΙΩΝ,||800.00|
|depositors of 100 € D.Kokkaliaris, Ph.Karathanasis, ΣΥΛΛΟΓΟΣ ΑΝΔΡΙΤΣΑΝΩΝ, D.Gregoropoulos, I.Pothos, D.Gregoropoulou, A.Vlachos, S.Gregoropoulos, P.Kyriakopoulou, G.Kyriakopoulos, Al.Pothos||1.100.00|
|depositors of 50 € K.Badas, T.Pavlopoulos, P.Gortzilas, Hel.N. Kyriakopoulos, Hel.G.Kyriakopoulos, Ph.M.Kopanitsanos, Ol.Kyriakopoulou, I.V.Kappos, Al.Soteropoulos, Dem.Vlassopoulos, Pan.Gregoropoulos, Vas.Kyriakopoulos, G.Pothos, Fr.Iakovou, Th.Kolias||750.00|
|depositors of 30 € El.Fourli-Tzelepi, Hel.Gregoropoulos, Ioa.Gregoropoulos, F.Gregoropoulos, K.Arvaniti||150.00|
|depositors of 20 € V.Yiannopoulou, Nik.Kappos||40.00|
• On December 13, 2013, the Cultural Development Programming Agreement amounting to 100,000 Euros was signed, between the Ministry of Culture and Sports and, the Region of Western Greece – Regional Unity of Ilia for the project “Excavation research, topographic and architectural survey of the ancient theatre of Platiana”.
• The aim of the project was the complete archaeological documentation of the monument, through the supplementary excavation of selected points in the theatre. These works were preceded by the deforestation and the excavation cleaning of the ancient theatre. Also planned are the topographic mappings of the monument, its new architectural depiction, the recording and organizing of the decumbent building materials, the static study of fixation, as well as geological studies. All the above are the precursors that are required, in order for the restoration study of the ancient theatre to materialize.
• “DIAZOMA” has opened a “money box” – an electronic bank account – for the ancient theatre of Platiana, to which the local communities actively contribute.
• Excavations began on the 1st of May 2014, by the Department of Prehistoric and Classical Antiquities (OLYMPIA) for the project “Excavation research, topographic and architectural survey of the ancient theatre of Platiana”. This lasted until December 2014.
• Also, for the needs of the project, the topography study and the architectural depiction of the ancient theatre were carried out by direct assignment. In the framework of the project, the static study and the restoration study of the ancient theatre were also carried out.