Progress of Works

Geophysical surveys
Excavations
Restoration Studies
Expropriations
Restoration Works
€320.00IN DONATIONS

Nikolaos Stamos: €20.00

Diazoma Association: €100.00

Stefanos Tsolakidis: €100.00

Ier. Od. Kyrosimos: €100.00

Quick Navigation

Theatre of Amphilochian Argos

Description
Multimedia
Scientific Bulletin
Donations
Progress of Works
Theater News

In the village of Kenourgio in the Community of Ambelakia, 12 km from Amphilochia and east of the Amphilochia – Arta road, on one of the gentle foothills of the Makrynoros Mountains sloping down to the Ambracian Gulf, are preserved the ruins of an ancient city which has been identified as Amphilochian Argos, an important town of Acarnania mentioned by Thucydides. All that is visible of this once-great city, which ruled the fertile coastal area in the 5th c. BC, are sections of its fortifications, the foundations of public and private buildings and traces of the theatre.

The site of the theatre of Amphilochian Argos was identified as early as 1916 but has not yet been excavated, meaning that only a few stone blocks of the cavea are visible

L. Kolonas
Archaeologist

Monument Name

Theatre of Amphilochian Argos.

Category

Theatre

Brief Description

In the village of Kenourgio in the Community of Ambelakia, 12 km from Amphilochia and east of the Amphilochia – Arta road, on one of the gentle foothills of the Makrynoros Mountains sloping down to the Ambracian Gulf, are preserved the ruins of an ancient city which has been identified as Amphilochian Argos, an important town of Acarnania mentioned by Thucydides. All that is visible of this once-great city, which ruled the fertile coastal area in the 5th c. BC, are sections of its fortifications, the foundations of public and private buildings and traces of the theatre.

Images - Plans

Documentation - Bibliography

Κ. Α. Ρωμαίος, Αμφιλοχικόν Άργος, Παράρτημα ΑΔ 1916, 51.

Location

Municipal Department of Ambelakia, Municipality of Amphilochia, Valtos District, Aetoloacarnania Prefecture.

Dating

General Description of Monument

In the village of Kenourgio in the Community of Ambelakia, 12 km from Amphilochia and east of the Amphilochia – Arta road, on one of the gentle foothills of the Makrynoros Mountains sloping down to the Ambracian Gulf, are preserved the ruins of an ancient city which has been identified as Amphilochian Argos, an important town of Acarnania mentioned by Thucydides. All that is visible of this once-great city, which ruled the fertile coastal area in the 5th c. BC, are sections of its fortifications, the foundations of public and private buildings and traces of the theatre.

The site of the theatre of Amphilochian Argos was identified as early as 1916 but has not yet been excavated, meaning that only a few stone blocks of the cavea are visible.

Current Situation

Latitude

38.926189°

Longitude

21.187145°

NameDateAmount (€)
Nikolaos Stamos20.00
Diazoma Association100.00
Stefanos Tsolakidis100.00
Ier. Od. Kyrosimos100.00
Total
€320.00
Balance
€320.00
DescriptionBudgetTargetRemarks
Expropriation of a property where remains of the ancient theatre are sited50.000.0050.000.00

The position of the theater of Amphilochikou Argos has been known since 1916, but has not yet been excavated, which is why only some of the stone blocks of the theater are visible.